Customs Clearance Helps Bring Your Big Ticket Items Across the Border

Traveling between the United States and Canada is almost as easy as going from state to state. Sure, you might have to stop at the border to verify your identity and purpose for visiting, but the process is typically pretty straightforward, if not slightly time sensitive.

Moving from the United States to Canada, on the other hand, is not quite so simple. While the landscape, language, and lifestyles are similar between these two countries, the move from the US to Canada is, in fact, an international one. Trying to move from one country to another—no matter which two countries—is complicated and that makes the process a little more complicated, especially in terms of trying to import a car to Canada.

Something could be said, though, about the relationship between the US and Canada, which ensures that these types of moves are as friendly as possible. In other countries, this is not such an easy thing.

Now, just because the move may be more complicated doesn’t mean it has to be difficult.  Yes, there may be a little more paperwork—and it is going to take some time—but other than that, it is much easier than, say, trying to relocate overseas.

It is important to note that bringing your car with you, across the border, is going to involve getting clearance from customs.  Basically, you need to declare your more valuable items because, in essence, you will be “importing” them into Canada. So, in terms of your car, you will need to prepare for the “import” process, which could involve:

  • customs release preparation for your vehicle
  • submitting your automotive export control form
  • paying all of your Canadian customs taxes and duties
  • efficient coordinating of your [car’s] border crossing
  • filling out of all your customs accounting paperwork
  • providing an agent to assist you on the border crossing process (at the time you have chosen to make the move)
  • getting your AES/ITN

Now, this might seem like it could be overwhelming but, again, you only have to do this with your high value possessions with lots of government regulations—like a car—because you need to make sure that you:

  • pay the associated fees and taxes typically associated with motor vehicle operation, registration, and maintenance
  • have properly regulated or modified for legal operation within the country of Canada